Friday, July 3, 2020

[Prelude to the Storage Bin // Part 0] WC Slofis Colors Mod

    This article serves as a warm-up for a big project I have coming late July/early August. My time in this hobby is limited. I don't mean I will stop spinning, but there will come a time where life comes and sweeps me away from this beloved hobby of mine. 


    There was a conversation in the Workshop discord server where someone mentioned the lack of written material for this hobby, and to that, someone responded saying young people enjoying a hobby have no reason to write anything down. With college applications coming up in August, I'm going to be dedicated to documenting the things I do so that in the future, when all my mods, pens, and parts are tucked away in the storage bin, I may look back fondly on a large part of my adolescence. 


    The mod I will be making in this article is the well-known Slofis Colors Mod. I wanted to make this mod because I had first made it in May 2019, around 5 months of being active in the hobby, and I wasn't too fond of it. I wish I still had a picture of it, it was terrible. Eno emerald green SuperTips, sky-blue CT caps, sky-blue Sarasa. I think it's one of the ugliest and roughest mods I've ever made, and because of that I barely touched it and eventually scrapped it.


    For this mod, I decided to use Pentel Watercolors. While the black ones are almost entirely identical to black Pentel ColorTwins, the fact that they are Watercolor makes them "more limited" in a sense because they aren't as widespread as the latter. I made the decision to do this for two reasons. One, I can make a "set" of WC Slofis Color Mods due to the number of color options present in the Pentel Watercolor line. Two, not many people have these mods in a solid color. (Shiro is the only person I've seen with a solid red Slofis colors mod)


Materials:
- 2* Pentel Watercolor [Black/SCN-101]
- 2* Uni AlphaGel [Mechanical Pencil]***
- 1* Pilot Supergrip [Black]
- 1* Tombow PlayColor2 [Black]
- 1* Zebra Sarasa [Black]

*** I have no clue if the one shown on Ponkotu's blog uses the mechanical pencil or ballpoint pen version of Alpha Gel. I made this mod with the mechanical pencil tips, making it slightly more heavy one with ballpoint tips


First, we start off with the Pentel Watercolor. 


Take the cap off, and cut to about this length. Overcutting is better than undercutting!

You should have this much of the body left.

Repeat with the other body, and connect the two using your PC2 backplug. It should look like this.

Using a mallet or something else, whack the WC cap so the middle piece comes out and you're left with a hollowed-out cap.

 
Cut your Sarasa grip in half & cut two 2 ring sections from your Supergrip.
Place the Alpha Gel tip inside your hollowed WC cap with the tip facing down.
Slide the Sarasa grip over the cap and push it down just enough for there to be a space
for your 2 ring section of Supergrip.
Repeat with your other cap.


Here is the final product! I think it looks amazing. I wish the text wouldn't fade as I spin the mod because I think it's a really cool accent. I'm almost glad I did such a terrible job the first time because I definitely would not have appreciated how this mod spins only 5 months in. 

Credits:
Pictures - Mina
Tutorial - Ponkotu's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Prelude to the Storage Bin // Part 1] Sisimay G3

 Hello, today's article will be a rewritten tutorial of the Sisimay G3. Stats: - 20cm - 15.8 g The materials you will need are as follow...